MAKING THE CASE: Trinity Rodman for 2021 Chipotle Young Female Player of the YearNWSL Rookie of the Year Helped Lead Washington Spirit to Championship
Forward Trinity Rodman burst onto the NWSL scene this year with a remarkable rookie season with the Washington Spirit to earn her second consecutive nomination for Chipotle U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year. The 19-year-old helped the Spirit win its first National Women’s Soccer League championship while earning Rookie of the Year honors a year after leading the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team to a record sixth title at the Concacaf Under-20 Women’s Championship.
Because no Youth National Team matches were played in 2021 due to the global pandemic, players were eligible for the 2021 U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year Award if they were 23 years of age or younger and a) played in a senior WNT match this calendar year or b) played in the 2020 Concacaf U-20 Women’s Championship. Players can win the U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year Award only once.
While nominees are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff, fans now have the opportunity to vote on select Player of the Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Voting for the awards starts Monday, Dec. 6 at 11:00 a.m. ET and closes on Dec. 12 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winners will be announced throughout the month of December.
- VOTE NOW: Fan Voting for Player of the Year Awards
Before you cast your vote, read up on Rodman’s resume for Young Female Player of the Year:
- Became the youngest player to be drafted in NWSL history at 18 years old when the Washington Spirit selected her second overall in the 2021 NWSL Draft.
- Contributed in a major way to the Spirit’s run to the NWSL Championship, scoring six goals (including two game-winners) and six assists, tied for the league lead.
- Named 2021 NWSL Rookie of the Year after logging more than 2000 minutes in 25 appearances for the spirit.
- Also honored on the NWSL Best XI First Team, Rodman finished second in the league in shots and shots on goal.
- Scored in her NWSL Challenge Cup debut, becoming the youngest American to score in NWSL competition.
This is Rodman’s second consecutive nomination for Young Female Player of the Year.