After earning his first U.S. Men’s National Team call-up in more than a year this summer, helping lead the U.S. Men’s Olympic Team this fall and impressing at Venezia in Serie B, 21-year-old midfielder Gianluca Busio has been named a finalist for 2023 Chipotle U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year for the third time.
Fans have the opportunity to vote on select U.S. Soccer End of Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Nominees for all awards are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff. Voting for the awards starts Monday, Dec. 11 and closes on Monday, Dec. 18. The winners will be announced in the weeks that follow.
Let’s take a look at some of Busio’s highlights from 2023:
- Called up to the senior USMNT for the first time after a 16-month layoff for the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup. At the tournament, he played in all five games for the USA, starting four.
- Scored his first senior international goal against Trinidad and Tobago during the tournament group stage in his home state of North Carolina. He also netted his penalty kick during the shootout victory vs. Canada in the quarterfinals.
- Appeared in all four matches for the Men’s Olympic Team during its first two training camps of the cycle.
- Captained the U.S. against Mexico in its first preparation match ahead of Paris 2024.
- At the club level, has helped lead Venezia to second place in the Serie B table this fall, playing in all 16 games while starting 15.
- Scored twice for the Winged Lions, the opening goal in a 3-2 victory vs. Parma on Oct. 7 and the lone tally in a 1-0 win vs. Ternana on Nov. 4.
- At the end of the 2022-23 season, helped Venezia reach the Serie B promotion playoffs while making 14 appearances in the spring.