USA vs. Nicaragua
2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group B
July 15, 2017
FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio
Live Broadcast: Coverage at 6:30 p.m. ET on FXX, Univision and UDN (Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET)
Click here to find FXX on your local television provider
Today’s U.S. MNT Starting XI vs. Nicaragua: 2-Jorge Villafaña, 4-Matt Miazga, 5-Matt Besler, 6-Kelyn Rowe, 7-Chris Pontius, 10-Joe Corona, 11-Alejandro Bedoya, 12-Bill Hamid, 13-Dax McCarty, 14-Dom Dwyer, 19-Graham Zusi
Substitutes: 1-Brad Guzan, 22-Sean Johnson, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 8-Jordan Morris, 9-Gyasi Zardes, 15-Eric Lichaj, 16-Justin Morrow, 17-Cristian Roldan, 18-Juan Agudelo, 20-Paul Arriola, 21-Matt Hedges, 23-Kellyn Acosta
- Bruce Arena makes 11 changes to the team that started against Martinique on Wednesday.
- U.S. MNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Alejandro Bedoya (63), Graham Zusi (51), Matt Besler (42), Joe Corona (20), Dax McCarty (10), Jorge Villafaña (9), Chris Pontius (4), Dom Dwyer (3), Bill Hamid (3), Matt Miazga (3), Kelyn Rowe (3).
- U.S MNT Starting XI Gold Cup Cap Numbers (including this match): Alejandro Bedoya (13), Joe Corona (8), Matt Besler (5), Graham Zusi (4), Dax McCarty (3), Jorge Villafaña (2), Chris Pontius (2), Dom Dwyer (2), Kelyn Rowe (2), Bill Hamid (1), Matt Miazga (1).
- The Starting XI’s average cap number (including this game): 19.1 (overall) and 5.9 (Gold Cup)
- Each making their third U.S. MNT appearances, goalkeeper Bill Hamid and defender Matt Miazga get their Gold Cup debuts tonight.
- Hamid makes his first U.S. MNT appearance since Nov. 18, 2014, at the Republic of Ireland. The D.C. United net minder is the 11th U.S. MNT goalkeeper to appear in a CONCACAF Gold Cup match.
- All-Time U.S. MNT Gold Cup appearances by goalkeeper (including tonight): Kasey Keller (23), Tim Howard (10), Tony Meola (10), Brad Guzan (8), Brad Friedel (5), Troy Perkins (5), Nick Rimando (5), Marcus Hahnemann (1), Bill Hamid (1), Sean Johnson (1), Luis Robles (1).
- Miazga steps back into the lineup for the first time since a 3-1 friendly win at Puerto Rico on May 22, 2016.
- Arena has now utilized 22 of the 23 players on the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup roster through the first three games of the tournament.
- This marks the fourth time that the U.S. has utilized 22 or more players during the CONCACAF Gold Cup Group Stage (2005, 2007, 2009 and 2017).
- Having sat out Wednesday vs. Martinique, forward Dom Dwyer looks to join Alexander Rae (1937) and Eddie Johnson (2004-05) as the third U.S. MNT player all-time to score in each of his first three international appearances.
- Dwyer became the 48th U.S. MNT player to score in his debut on July 1 vs. Ghana and 10th to tally in each of his first two games when he found the back of the net vs. Panama on July 8.
- After coming off the bench against Martinique, Chris Pontius gets his first start of the Gold Cup tonight.
- Defender Jorge Villafaña makes his team-leading ninth appearance of 2017.
- Miazga and veteran Matt Besler pair in central defense together for the first time.
- Graham Zusi starts his sixth game at right back for the U.S. MNT in 2017.
- Having set up Dwyer’s goal on July 8 vs. Panama, winger Kelyn Rowe earns his second start of the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- Tonight’s match marks the first meeting between the USA and Nicaragua.
- Nicaragua is the 97th different international opponent the U.S. MNT has faced since beginning play in 1916.