Making the Case: Tim Ream for BioSteel U.S. Soccer Male Player of the YearVeteran Defender Aims for First Player of the Year Honor on Strength of World Cup Performance
Thirty-five years to wait until your first World Cup? That was no problem for veteran USMNT defender Tim Ream, whose steady performance in Qatar combined with solid club form with Fulham FC has earned him a nomination for 2022 BioSteel U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year.
For the second year in a row, fans will have the opportunity to vote on select Player of the Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Nominees for all awards are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff. Voting for the awards starts Thursday, Dec. 15 at 11:00 a.m. ET and closes on Dec. 22 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winners will be announced in the weeks that follow.
- VOTE NOW: Fan Voting for Player of the Year Awards
Let’s take a look at some of Ream’s highlights from 2022:
- After more than a year away from the USMNT, the 35-year-old center back returned to give a hero’s performance and provide more veteran leadership to the young side during the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- Was one of three players to feature in every minute of the tournament for the U.S., anchoring the backline that teamed with goalkeeper Matt Turner to earn two shutouts at a World Cup for the first time since 1930.
- Along with his calming, defensive prowess at the back, Ream finished with an 89% pass completion rate, good enough for third best among players that started all four matches at the tournament.
- At 35 years old, Ream became the fourth oldest field player to appear for the USA in a World Cup, coming in behind only 37-year-olds Tom Florie (1934), Fernando Clavijo (1994) and Thomas Dooley (1998).
- On the club front, the St. Louis native captained Fulham and appearing in every match of the club’s run to the 2021-22 EFL Championship title and automatic promotion to the English Premier League.
- Was also voted by his peers to the Professional Footballers Association Championship Team of the Season for 2021-22.
- Back in the Premier League with Fulham, Ream has continued to captain the side, appearing in 13 of a possible 15 matches, helping the club keep three clean sheets en route to a ninth-place position prior to the FIFA World Cup break.
- In total, Ream has 37 appearances across all competitions for Fulham during calendar year 2022. Ream was previously nominated for U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year in 2019.
This is Ream’s second nomination for U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year, having previously been a finalist in 2019.