- Position Midfielder
- Number 8
- Date of Birth Aug 28 1998
- Hometown Little Elm, TX
- Height 6' 0"
- Club Leeds United (England)
NATIONAL TEAM HIGHLIGHTS
- Headed home a late equalizer to send the inaugural Concacaf Nations League Final against Mexico to extra time. The USMNT went on to win the match 3-2, with McKennie earning “Player of the Tournament” honors.
- Has earned Man of the Match honors seven times during the 2022 cycle – second most of any player after Christian Pulisic.
- Has captained the USMNT on three occasions: July 7, 2019 vs. Mexico; May 30, 2021 at Switzerland; June 10, 2022 vs. Grenada
- Won U.S. Soccer’s Male Player of the Year in 2020
- Recorded the fastest hat trick from the start of a USMNT match, scoring three goals in 13 minutes to help the USA to a 7-0 win against Cuba in its Concacaf Nations League opener on Oct. 11, 2019 in Washington, D.C.
- Scored in his USMNT debut, a 1-1 draw against reigning European champions Portugal on Nov. 14, 2017 in Leiria, Portugal.
2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFYING
- Started each of his seven appearances, scoring two goals during qualifying.
- Opened the scoring and earned Budweiser Man of the Match honors in the USA’s 3-0 win against Honduras on Feb. 2, 2022 in St. Paul, Minn.
- Added the ‘dos’ to ‘dos a cero’ when tallied the second goal in the USA’s 2-0 win against Mexico on Nov. 12, 2021 in Cincinnati
- Joined Italian Serie A giants Juventus on Aug. 29, 2020
- Became the first U.S. international to play in and win the Coppa Italia, starting and going the distance in Juventus’ 2-1 win against Atalanta on May 19, 2021.
- Scored his fourth Serie A goal in Juve’s 3-0 win against Crotone on Feb. 22, 2021 to pass Michael Bradley as the USMNT’s all-time leading scorer in the Italian top-flight.
- Moved to Europe in 2016 to join the Academy of German Bundesliga club, Schalke.
- Earned his Schalke debut on the final day of the 2016-17 Bundesliga season and went on to make 75 league appearances and score four goals in four seasons with the club.
- Came up in the FC Dallas Academy, winning U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championships at U-15/16 level in 2015 and U-17/18 level in 2016.
- The son of John and Tina McKennie, has one older brother and one older sister.
- Began playing soccer at age six near Kaiserslautern, Germany, while his father served in the U.S. Army at Rammstein Air Base.
- Fluent in German and has proficiency in Italian and Spanish
- Said the time he met Landon Donovan and Carlos Bocanegra during the U.S. team’s visit to Rammstein Air Base in 2006 was the first time he realized he could play for the U.S. internationally.
- Is a big fan of the Harry Potter and often celebrates goals in tribute to the series.
- Learned to play the piano through YouTube and enjoys writing and creating music in his home studio.
- Also played American Football in his youth, featuring as a running back, safety and kicker.
U. S. MNT