In a year where he achieved his World Cup dream, USMNT defender Antonee Robinson also earned his first nomination for 2022 BioSteel U.S. Soccer Male Player of the Year.
For the second year in a row, fans will have the opportunity to vote on select Player of the Year Awards, with the fan vote comprising 15% of the total vote. Nominees for all awards are selected by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff. Voting for the awards starts Thursday, Dec. 15 at 11:00 a.m. ET and closes on Dec. 22 at 11:59 p.m. ET. The winners will be announced in the weeks that follow.
- VOTE NOW: Fan Voting for Player of the Year Awards
Let’s take a look at some of Robinson’s highlights from 2022:
- After finishing tied for the joint lead in World Cup Qualifying appearances with 13, Robinson also tie for the team lead in appearances with a career high of 14 during 2022 and finishing second with 1,122 minutes played during the calendar year.
- His 52nd minute strike helped the USA to a vital 1-0 win against El Salvador in World Cup Qualifying on Jan. 27, earning him Man of the Match honors in the process.
- Exactly two months later, the active full back popped up with two assists to push the USA to a 5-1 win against Panama and virtually clinch qualification to the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- Robinson started all four matches for the USA in Qatar, playing all but one possible minute after making way as a late-game substitute in the Round of 16 match against Netherlands.
- Led the team with 40 recoveries and seven interceptions across the four World Cup matches.
- On the club front, Robinson appeared in 18 league matches, registering a goal and assist in the second half of the 2021-22 campaign to help Fulham claim the 2021-22 EFL Championship title and automatic promotion to the Premier League, earning EFL Championship Team of the Season honors in the process.
- Robinson has continued his impressive display for Fulham in the EPL this season, appearing in 13 of a possible 15 matches, aiding Fulham to a ninth-place position prior to the World Cup break.