The U.S. Open Cup is instituting a fast break for observers of Ramadan. This will be implemented in a similar manner to a hydration break with some additional coordination and communication required as noted below.
1) Clubs should determine if any players are fasting prior to arrival at the match venue.
2) The Match Commissioner will check in pre-match with each team and the match officials
- Teams should indicate to the match commissioner starting players who are fasting.
- The referee crew should communicate to the match commissioner if the center referee or assistant referees are fasting.
- If a substitute player who is fasting enters the match prior to the designated break time, team officials must notify the Match Commissioner and Fourth Official that a fast break will now be required.
- If there are no participants fasting, the match should proceed as usually with no hydration break.
3) Match Commissioner and teams will confirm with the individuals fasting the appropriate time of day at the match venue (sundown) for the break.
4) Similar to how the referee would implement a hydration break, the fast break should commence following the first natural stoppage of the match after the pre-determined time.
- This break should only happen if the individual(s) fasting are actively participating in the match (not on the subs bench, etc).
- All players may take hydration/nutrition at this time.
5) The time will be made up through added time in the respective half. The referee and match commissioner should note the fast break in the Match Report.